Sometimes when you do the right thing -- like power an electric car with sunshine, something I've been doing for about 10 months -- you get recognition for doing so.
The handwritten note in the picture to the right was placed on the windshield of my 2014 Nissan LEAF this morning. My LEAF has the vanity plate, 'SOLPWRD'. Here's what the note says -->
'SOLPWRD -- I love your car + that it's solar powered! Inspirational! :-) I want one!'
Yup, this little gesture of kindness, definitely made my day :-).
Anyone else out there have stories similar to this one? If so, please share them in the comments field below.
Brought my 2014 Nissan LEAF to a National Drive Electric Week event in Littleton, Colo. today (Sept. 20). About 30 other area EV owners zipped over to the event -- including many on electricity generated by home solar systems.
LEAFs were highest in number, but there were several Volts and half a dozen Teslas on hand as well. There was also a Brammo motorcycle on display. Event-goers could test drive a BMW i3, a Nissan LEAF, a Chevy Volt, or a Tesla Model S.
Although attendance wasn't super high -- perhaps due in part to the fact that the event, held in a shopping mall parking lot, did not have big enough signs, a steady stream of people stopped by. I spoke with several interested potential EV buyers, including one woman whose interest in an EV rose considerably when she realized she could lease an EV affordably across as little as two years.
Took a trip from Aurora, Colo. to Boulder, Colo. today in our 2014 solar-charged Nissan LEAF -- and racked up 114 Sun Miles in the process. That's the most I've driven in the LEAF -- which we've had about 2 months -- on a single day.
Plugged into a solar-charging station (check out the photo at right, which is a postcard perfect one for the joys and wonders of Driving on Sunshine) in Boulder briefly to make sure I had enough charge to get back home.
Yes, you can Run Your Car on Sun, completely emissions free, have fun in the process, and save money as well. If you calculate 30 m.p.g. and $4 per gallon as the point of comparison, we've saved more than $300 worth of gas while zooming around in our zippy solar-charged LEAF SV for about 2,400 miles so far.
Sun Miles®, meaning miles driven by an electric vehicle (EV) or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) whose batteries have been charged using solar energy and/or using electricity from kWh credits amassed via solar offset generation.During the past six years, my wife Julie and I have generated 60 megawatt hours of electricity with our 7.5 kW home solar system – and we’ve driven more than 60,000 of what SolarChargedDriving.Com calls
Differently put, for the past six years, we’ve owned our own solar micro power plant.
By July of 2012, the $30,000 we spent on our solar PV system was completely recovered by the savings in utility and gasoline cost.
- Solar-charging FAQs
- After 21 years, goodbye to my Acura
- Home solar PV + EV = solar-charged driving
- Living a year without a car
- 3 reasons home solar still rocks after 3 years
- EVs WILL have to match gas cars to win out
- Are squirrels a serious threat to a solar system?
- Testing a Twizy at EV 'Disneyland' in Paris
- Utilities need to stop whining about home solar
- Fairest driving tax = vehicle weight + miles driven
- Democratic Committee denies EV + PV advocate
- Mr. President: We can drive our cars on sunshine
- Tesla's solar Supercharger network gets better
- Spring means more solar-charged EV miles
- Energy reasons to solar-charge an EV
- Independence reasons to solar-charge an EV
- Environmental reasons to solar-charge an EV
- Yes, we can do renewable energy + electric cars
- Why solar charge? An introduction
- New solar EV charging canopy online in Michigan