Politics of sun & fossil fuels
Energy is an inherently political topic. In the “On Sun and Fossil Fuels” blog section, I’ll focus in particular on the often highly-charged politics of sun (and renewable energy) and fossil fuels. Thanks in large part to the election of Barack Obama as President of the United States there is far more political momentum behind the “greening” of America and its economy than in the days of “W”. I hope to help build this momentum, if perhaps in a small way, through my “On Sun and Fossil Fuels” blogging entries.
First, I want to say I know there are quite a few conservatives and right-leaning libertarians who drive electric cars and many who power/fuel their EVs with home solar. They are tapping into the great joy and independence and freedom of solar-charged driving, with independence and freedom being values often associated with political conservativism.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of conservatives who are downright anti-electric vehicle and downright anti-solar. And the sad thing is, I think too many, maybe most of these people, are anti-EV and anti-solar simply because they view electric cars and solar as being somehow "liberal".
In other words, they're not against electric vehicles and solar, and solar-charged driving because they're inherently against EVs, PV and the independence that EV + PV delivers. They're against them simply because "liberals" are for these things.
- Distributive solar will take down utility monopolies
- Goodbye central utilities, hello home solar!
- Solar-charged electric cars are no panacea
- China choking on air pollution from fossil fuels
- Have Santa stuff solar in your stocking this year
- They're water skiing in Dec. this year in Colorado
- Fossil fuels: Energy 'bayonets' from Dark Ages
- Solar doesn't take as much space as oil and gas
- Who do you want: Mr. Solar or Mr. Oil & Mr. Coal?
- Record heat the norm in U.S., globally
- A fuel spill we can all live with: Solar
- Climate change hits with fiery fury in Colorado
- WREF conference puts spotlight on renewables
- The darker side of Earth Day
- Why don't more of us see big picture on pollution?
- I'm a renewable energy voter
- Americans want gas hogs -- and why not?
- Middle class couldn’t afford EVs without tax credit
- Coal plant, solar & manatees create odd contrast
- Vote to break from utility sets important precedent
- You don't want to touch this: Gas pump handles
- Gas cars use electricity too: Part II
- Obama's writing off greenies -- and his base
- Donate solar kWh or use them for a future EV?
- Big Oil's fake grassroots supporters
- 'Clean coal' advocates use EVs to make their case
- Sierra Club's oil freedom pitch a bit misleading
- Time to reign in coal power plant pollution
- Why put all of our economic eggs in the oil basket?
- High price for our indifference on climate change
- Saudi Arabia going solar – so that we won’t
- Anti-EVers, solar, gas prices & net-zero homes
- Mainstream media miss real renewables story
- Gas prices, CO2 obsession & selfish Americans
- Japan energy crunch shows value of local solar
- America's addiction to oil is un-American
- Why rising oil prices make me smile
- Sunny Colorado tries to save solar jobs
- Colorado solar fight has global repercussions
- Say no to high gas prices: Fuel an EV with solar
- Solar-charging no better than coal? Part 2
- Solar-charging: No better than plugging into coal?
- Cut the earth a break: Solar-charge an EV
- As gas prices rise, Americans buy more pick-ups
- Defining solar EV miles could be controversial
- Why SCD.Com -- & all of us -- need a neutral Net
- There's a better way than oil: Solar
- Fossil fuel subsidies dwarf those for solar
- Obama brings solar back to the White House
- Air pollution kills people -- & local economies too
- BP spill should put a cap on American hypocrisy
- Yes, we can do renewable energy + electric cars
- Why solar-charged driving should rev you up
- A Bold Plan to turn BP around: Solar gas stations
- As oil gushes into Gulf, Americans snap up SUVs
- NYT drives solar-charged driving onto media radar
- Media hype ignores hydrogen's long tailpipe
- Mad about the spill? Ditch your gas car for an EV
- Oil, coal disasters should point us toward the sun
- Is GM's shutdown of Hummer actually a bummer?
- Seven of world's 10 largest firms are oil companies
- Put PV renewable energy on rooftops
- Colorado challenges California on renewables
- Another reason to solar-charge: Tanker crashes
- Gas car's tailpipe extends all the way to coal plant
- Our denial won't prevent The End of Oil
- Canada's 'oil' sands another reason to solar-charge
- Will the 'Bloom Box' blow away solar?
- Study: Clogged traffic = clogged human arteries
- What you can do to promote pollution free driving
- Save American democracy: Fuel your car with sun
- Is bigger solar better solar?
- Dear Governors: Plug in to electric revolution
- Cap & Trade: A dangerous distraction?
- Electrification Coalition ad stars renewable energy
- EV-ers must walk the green walk
- Obsessed with carbon Wall of Shame
- Nuclear power not green
- Humans' concept of time: Far too short-sighted
- NFL QB spikes the 'green' = 'girly' stereotype
- Would solar-charged cars hurt public transportation?
- Dirty Coal makes unwanted appearance
- No more emissions tests -- ever
- The sun is free
- EVs will change some things
Web blogs by current solar-charged drivers
-- Peder Norby's Electric BMW ActiveE Blog
-- Darell Dickey's EV Nut Web Site
-- Doug Korthof's Live Oil Free Pages
-- The Solar-Charged Electric Car Page
-- Solar Power and Electric Cars
-- Sun Powered EVs
-- Ecogeeco Web Site