News about a growing solar carport and solar-powered EV charging station revolution in the U.S. continues to pour in. In fact, there’s so much happening at an ever quickening pace that it’s impossible to keep track of it all.
Here are a few highlights from the last couple of weeks–>
<div style="float:right; margin-left: 10px;">
google_ad_client = "pub-7703542917199961";
created 12/8/09 */
google_ad_slot = "7950368454";
google_ad_height = 200;
- Las Vegas officials recently celebrated the opening of several solar carports at the City’s Stupak Community Center. The Center’s three carports will generate about 250,000 kilowatt-hours of power per year, providing an estimated $28,000 a year in energy savings. This particular solar carport will also offer solar-powered EV charging. Ecotality North America will install a charging station at the carports. The station will be able to charge the batteries of electric vehicles, including Tesla Roadsters, of which one was on hand for the opening ceremony.
[SOURCE: Las Vegas Sun]
- A Santa Rosa, Calif. YMCA is in the process of installing a large solar carport. SolarCity is providing the panels and solar installation, while the financing is coming from TerraVerde Renewable Partners of Larkspur. The carport mounted system is expected to save the YMCA $250,000 over the next few years.
[SOURCE: Santa Rosa Press Democrat]
- Finally, in a trend that SolarChargedDriving.Com predicts will become bigger and bigger, another U.S. auto dealership (we’ve reported previously on auto dealerships that have added solar), this one in Southern New Jersey, is planning to install solar carports. More than 100 cars will be covered by the T-shaped canopies, which should be completed by May 2011. As much as 95 percent of the dealership’s electric bill will be covered by power generated by the 980 solar panels, which should generate about 223 kilowatts of power. Lights beneath the canopies will operate on motion detectors, which also will conserve electricity.
- California schools soak up sun power with solar carports
- Solar carports: The next commuter fueling stations
- SolarChargedDriving.Com’s map of solar-powered EV charging stations
- Solar-powered EV charging pulls into Eastern Washington State